Nothing to fear here, other than the thoughts of a free will. Read with no caution, but maybe just a sense of open-ness.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Oh how far the apples fall.....

Greetings all. I figure that since it's been a while since I've posted, I'd update you on my weekend. It was interesting.....to say the least.

As some of you know, I spent the last weekend visiting family in New Mexico. I felt it was a necessary recess to get away from the stresses of work and class and just "get away" for a few days. In all honesty, I almost wish that I would have stayed here instead of going. The only escape that I had was hiding out with my cousin Woodrow, where I had the chance to reminisce with a family member who actually cared, after my immediate family of course.

It started with us arriving there. Just a quick history on my family, my dad's side of the family is unpredictable, rash, and at some times utterly clueless to what goes on around them if it isn't directly in front of their face. We arrive, and no sooner do I set my bag down that an argument erupts in the kitchen. My God-mother and father (aunts when I was baptized catholic) were having at it, and it didn't help that he was inebriated beyond normality. It was here I discovered Leon Family curse #1: The relationships in the family are for naught, and soon wither away to nothing. The adults hold no morality to the people they know, and it makes me sad that I have to see this part of my family so divided.

Leon curse #2: Alcohol is a constant companion to those in my family for when the matters are at their worst. I was constantly depressed to see not only my dad, but my brother, my uncles, and even my own cousin, not even my age, proceed to drink away their problems with the hope that the incurring hangover will wipe out any memory of sorrows current, or long forgotten. Sadly, my problems didn't end there.

The skeletons in my family's closet run deeper than I will admit, at least on this blog. It truly scares me to know that this is what has run in my family for so long. I know that I am the reaper of my own destiny, but I can't help thinking that so many of mine have succumb to these alternatives, and that should anything happen, will I break and fall just as they have? I made a promise to myself that I would be the black sheep, the rebel, the a-gi-ta-tor as it will, and show them that I would not give up, as they have.

This trip was an eye-opener for me, but for better or for worse I'm not sure. I learned things of my kin that most people would not want to hear, or things that would normally show up on an episode of Jerry Springer. I can take comfort, however, knowing that I am in control of what happens to me. Maybe I can be the one that inspires them to look up, and see that they can strive to the top, and just maybe...I can help them.

Adrian

No comments: